Saturday, September 16, 2006

You are from America, aren’t you?

Today in the class, our communication skill teacher said to us, “from the way you talk and accent, I can tell which country you’re from. Here in the classroom, the only person I’d have big problem with is Genie. Genie, you’re from America, aren’t you?” She said this with of course a quite Posh British accent.

So I replied “No, I am from Taiwan.”

She went on saying “Oh.. then. Why is that? It’s very interesting, isn’t it? Where did you get that accent?”

By this time, I was a bit annoyed. Should I have a Chinese or Taiwanese accent to be qualified as a person from Taiwan?

Then a Mexican classmate said, I’m from Mexico and it’s close to America. Is my accent American?

The teacher then smiled and said, “No, you have a Mexican accent.”

Here in England, you either have a lovely HOMETOWN accent or a British accent. But never an American accent when you’re not actually from the States because you will then spend a lot of your conversation in explaining to people why you have American accent instead of developing a real conversation. Hahaah…. I’d better get used to it before I switch my accent to a POSH BRITISH ACCENT.

You know what? When I said I’ve never been to New York, it actually brought another SURPRISE to my communication skill teacher. She said “How come?”

Hahaha… At the end of our class, she said, if you didn’t tell me you’re from Taiwan, I’d mistake you are American. Hahaha…. YES!! I am a BLODDY YANKEE!!

PS. When I said, “I guess blah blah…” She said, “Oh, see. This is also the American way. Here in England, we’d say I think.”

YES! Madame. I’d remember it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home