Tuesday, September 12, 2006

When Aussie meets Yankee!

So the story does go like you expected. I am of course the Yankee bit in this story and who’s the Aussie?

On my flight to London I was in my seat hoping that the one sat next to me would be a Friendly, Clean, Smells-good person. Hahaha… not that I was expecting something to happen but it’s just this general sort of thing you’d imagine before you meet the person.

Here comes my story on board for you. They came sat down while I sat in my 31A, a window seat. First thing I noticed was they are in their late 60s. Second thing was the lady spoke a language that I couldn’t even recognize. Third thing was the man spoke English with a familiar accent.

When the first meal came, the man took out a little blue box. Then he took out something, excuse me?? A needle for injection, is it?? Oh.. my.. is he a junky? Can’t be so lucky sitting next to junkies, can I? Well… With seats so close in the POOR people class, you wouldn’t have missed what people sat next to you was doing. He gave himself a shot in the belly.

Never seen anyone doing this before, it was kind of weird. As he might have sensed my feeling, he explained that he’s not on drug or something. He said I’m diabetes so I need an injection. Don’t worry about me, okay? I will be fine. Haha….

As soon as I replied and asked a few polite questions, he said, where do you live in the States? My cousin lives in LA. We used to go and visit him. Are you on a holiday to London?

Sigh… am I too American or what? Do I really sound VERY AMERICAN? Then I have to explain I am from Taiwan blah blah blah. He said sorry and then asked the one question that every single English Speaking Person I met would ask, “Where do you learn your English? You have American accent!”

Well… why do I sound like American?? I don’t know. Maybe that’s because my first teacher was American and I was a dam good student to have learnt every single word he taught me in that 12 months. Now I am suffering for my good work done when I was 12. I don’t really like to explain my accent to people. So tired of it.

So I decided to change my accent to a Sexy Latin American one or a Snobbish British one. Which one do you prefer, my friends?

Oh.. let’s get back to the Aussie bit. When I asked," are you going home or holiday?" The man answered, oh… my wife is Polish and we are going to Poland. She’s never been in Poland. Her family came to Australia during the war. Now that her parents died so we decided to go to Warsaw to meet up with one of our sons. And the other son lives in Italy. We will all meet up and then travel around Europe for 2 weeks. It takes a fortune to travel. You know, 6 years of saving. Then he went on describing his journey and how he admires the products he used to sale because they were from Taiwan and how good the quality were.

Wowo… quite a trip and quite an International family!! I think many foreign people are like this. The family doesn’t stay as close as possible. They split when one gets enough ability and money to move out. Very different from ours, isn’t it?

Suddenly I had a crazy idea thinking that I might end up marrying a foreign guy who’s holding a British passport but he’s origin is on a tiny place in mysterious island on Atlantic Ocean. Then our kids are gonna live in South Pole, Amazon river and Egypt those same mysterious kind of place.

Hahaha………. Am I nuts? Maybe that’s because I’ve been sitting too long in the POOR people class. See ya in North Pole. Shall we??

2 Comments:

At 6:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Genie,
it is good to meeting people from other countries. I have the same feelings about the culture thing that our people like to keep family as close as possible. Is it good? Not always I guess. If we had the same open concept, we may not call you BRAVE when you decided to go to UK again and to spend all of your saving! ^^ Btw, don't blame people asking about your American accent because you really don't sound like a Taiwaner!

I enjoyed your sharing so much. Please keep doing so~~

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger Lonely Planet said...

I guess I am not BRAVE but FOOLISH!
Haha..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home